Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Conversing in Spanish and Surfing in Board Shorts – A Montanan’s Nightmare

Imagine the feeling of sand between your toes. Imagine seeing crystal blue water and hearing the sound of the waves lapping on shore. Now, imagine your instructor giving you instructions in Spanish and surfing along with you. If you are like me, the next thought that runs through your mind is ahhhhh I fell off my surfboard while the wave crashed over the top of me and my handsome instructor is laughing in Spanish.

That was what I thought would happen when I went to Costa Rica as a novice in speaking Spanish and surfing was something this landlubber only dreamed of. It worked out for me better than that, although there were more than a couple of times when the waves got the better of me.


When You Don’t Speak Spanish and Surfing Is Only A Dream


Having lived in the mountains of Montana all my life, I wasn’t sure if going to a country where the native language is Spanish and surfing was our goal was the most intelligent thing we’ve ever done. But, when my friend suggested Costa Rica I couldn’t resist the idea of sun and sand. I thought surfing would just be another way to spend time getting a tan while being active. I took a Spanish class in high school, so figured I could get along. Little did I know I would soon be addicted to the beautiful romance language of Spanish and surfing, well let’s just say I’m looking for a way to buy a surf board. I know, I know, what will I do with a surfboard in Montana for heaven’s sake?



I highly recommend a trip to Costa Rica where speaking the native Spanish and surfing the day away allows the stress to melt into the sand and leaves you feeling refreshed, fit and ready to take on the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment